About the Role
The post holder will act as a bridge between stakeholders in the organisation and will perform a range of activities which help ensure the operational effectiveness and excellence of the organisation through identifying, defining, and validating internal and external changes.
The post holder will play a key role in solutions delivery by leading the gathering and documentation of requirements through to supporting activities towards service transition.
Improving, designing and documenting data mapping, workflow and processes. The post holder will make appropriate recommendations that will positively impact operational effectiveness, the design and implementation of IT systems and maximise value to service users.
They will be highly motivated, innovative and organised, working independently but aligned, ensuring analysis is delivered to the highest quality and delivers true benefit to the organisation.
The King’s community is dedicated to the service of society. King’s Strategic Vision 2029 sets out our vision for the future, shaped around five priority areas: educate to inspire and improve; research to inform and innovate; serve to shape and transform; a civic university at the heart of London; and an international community that services the world. Our ambitious Education Strategy sets out the actions that we must take to transform how we teach, how and where our students learn and how we support them during their time with us.
The Education Portfolio are part of the wider IT Solutions Directorate within IT and are a team of Programme & Project Managers, Business Analysts and Project Coordinators delivering business transformation to help deliver the Education Strategy.
Our work covers the student lifecycle from application to graduation and beyond, to help ensure a coherent and seamless student experience and effective administrative processes, working closely with King’s departments & faculties to do so.
This post will be offered on a permanent basis.
This is a full-time hybrid post – we welcome applications from candidates seeking a flexible work pattern and offer a split of time spent in the office and at home
The role will be based in our IT department at Lavington Street on our Guys Campus but will also require working extensively with stakeholders across King’s.
Requirements Definition & Management
• Organises & facilitates scoping and business priority setting for large or complex changes, engaging senior stakeholders and direction setters
• Selects the most appropriate means of representing business requirements in the context of a specific change initiative
• Drives the requirements elicitation process, identifying what stakeholder input is required
• Identifies the impact on business requirements of external factors
• Specifies and documents business requirements ensuring traceability back to source
• Analyses requirements for adherence to business objectives and for consistency, challenging positively as appropriate
• Works with stakeholders to prioritise requirements
• Responsible for planning and co-ordinating business modelling activities and producing models in support of business strategy and across multiple business functions
• Plans own modelling activities, selecting appropriate techniques and the correct level of detail for meeting assigned objectives
• Applies and uses an in-depth knowledge of the organisation and standard modelling techniques
• Obtains customer buy-in to changes and communicates with senior managers to seek input and share modelling results for agreement
Business Process Improvement
• Captures, measures and analyses business processes to identify waste & reduce defects
• Supports the identification, implementation, and control of alternative processes to improve effectiveness and efficiency
• Assesses feasibility and contributes to the recommendation of new approaches for Services
• Establishes customer requirements for the implementation of significant changes in organisational mission, business functions and process, organisational roles and responsibilities, and scope or nature of service delivery
• Manages the investigation of data requirements, and co-ordinates the application of data analysis and data modelling techniques
• Based upon a detailed understanding of the corporate information requirements establish, modify or maintain data structures and their associated components (entity descriptions, relationship descriptions, attribute definitions)
• Provides advice and guidance to database and integration designers and others using the data structures and associated components
Organisation Design & Implementation
• To deliver innovative IT Solutions that represent good value in line with the College strategies and architecture design
• Anticipates major changes affecting the organisation, and mobilises resources to implement changes
• Advises business managers about the implications of planned IT-enabled change on the business, on processes and on customers
• Conducts business impact assessments to identify how the changes from the “as-is” processes, systems, and structures to the “to-be” processes, systems and structures impact specific services, process and stakeholders
• Helps outlines how the organisation structure, jobs, teams and roles need to change to enable the future business processes.
Stakeholder Relationship Management
• Establishes effective relationships between stakeholders, including responsibility for the relationship between IT functions and faculties, departments and/or end users
• Manage and liaise with all stakeholders and suppliers to ensure effective planning, delivery and communications
• Acts as a single point of contact for stakeholders, facilitating relationships between them
• Negotiates, at a senior level if necessary, on any issues to ensure that customers, suppliers and other stakeholders understand and agree what will meet their needs
Contributing to successful project delivery by supporting:
• Both waterfall & agile project delivery
• Benefits definition and management
• Business change planning & management
• Implementation & configuration of solutions
• Testing against defined requirements
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
Qualifications & Training
• Relevant work experience and/or education: We think a wide range of different work and educational experiences could support you to be successful in this role. Relevant work experience might include work in other educational settings or large complex organisations. Relevant educational experiences might include higher education in a related discipline, professional qualifications such as a Business Analysis qualification or other training
Skills & Experience
• Excellent business analysis skills with practical application in a complex multi-stakeholder environment
• Demonstrable process reengineering experience
• Experience of data analysis, modelling & capturing data requirements
• Proven analytical and problem-solving capability
• Comprehensive experience of planning, managing and controlling business analysis work.
• High level of presentation skills and the ability to communicate confidently with colleagues of a similar management status.
• A team player influences without authority and builds strong working relationships – strong interpersonal skills including motivating, negotiating, influencing and networking.
• Knowledge and demonstrable usage of process improvement tools and techniques
• Knowledge and demonstrable usage of common business modelling tools and techniques
• Knowledge and demonstrable use of data analysis tools & techniques
• Knowledge and demonstrable use of requirements elicitation tools and techniques
Qualifications & Training
• Agile qualification
• Lean Six Sigma or other process improvement qualification
Skills & Experience
• Experience of working and delivering on Agile projects.
• Experience of planning and managing business change
• Knowledge of BPMN 2.0
Your application should clearly set out how you meet the essential criteria as this is how we shortlist applications. Learn more about how we recruit, including tips on writing your application and supporting statement on our website: https://jobs.kcl.ac.uk/gb/en/applying
Interviews will be held and will consist of competency-based questions linked closely to the essential and desirable criteria mentioned here.
Although we have made improvements over the last number of years, our team is still under-represented in terms of staff from global majority ethnicities, LGBTQ+ identities, and from people with disabilities. We encourage applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to employing a team that has diverse skills, experiences and abilities.
Interviews are scheduled to take place Wednesday 6th April 2022